Your privacy is important Great Lakes Honda (referred to as “we” or “us” in this policy) and the purpose of this policy is to tell you what personal information we collect about you, how we use it, whether we disclose it to anybody else and the purpose of any disclosure, how long we keep it, and how you can request access to your personal information or obtain more information about this dealer’s privacy policies.
We provide detailed information relating to specific transactions and obtain your consent to collect, use and disclose your personal information on various application and other forms and at various times, including when you purchase or service your vehicle.
Personal information means any information about you that identifies you except your name, business title, business address and business telephone number if you are the employee of a business. It also does not include your home address and telephone number if these are published in a telephone or other directory and you had the opportunity to refuse to have your information listed.
What personal information do we collect?
When you purchase or lease a vehicle from us, or when you have us service or repair a vehicle, or if you finance the purchase or lease of a vehicle through us or purchase or lease other products or services from or through us, participate in one of our surveys, contests, or promotions, test drive one of our vehicles or contact our dealership staff, we may collect some or all of the following personal information:
- Address and telephone number
- E-mail address and facsimile number
- Information about your driving habits (such as preferred car size, colour, type of vehicle, kilometers driven annually, etc.)
- Information about your existing vehicle(s) and any trade-in
- Details of your vehicle and its service history
- Driver’s license number
- Name of your insurance company and agent
- Insurance policy number and details about your insurance coverage
- Language preference
- Date of birth
- Social insurance number*
- Financial and credit information about you (specific information is set out in the application for credit forms)
- Principle amount of your loan, interest and repayment schedule.
*Provision of your Social Insurance Number is optional. However, you should be aware that most Credit Reporting Agencies use the Social Insurance Number as a unique identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing credit reports. If you do not provide your Social Insurance Number, our ability to obtain a timely and accurate credit report may be affected.
What information do we collect electronically?
For users of our website (the “Site”), the Site automatically collects information, such as the Internet domain name (“IP Address”) assigned to your computer or browser software when you are on the Internet, through electronic means. Information about your use of the Site is collected through “cookies” that exist only during your visit to the Site and are deleted once you logoff this Site or close your browser. Session cookies are only used by the Site to recognize your visit as a unique visit and to keep your visit on this Site separate from that of other visitors to this Site. We may use the information we collect electronically to obtain aggregate data for the purposes of: improving our products and services to you; improving the design and content of the Site; and planning and other internal administrative functions.
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions of Use posted on the Site for additional information.
The security of your personal information is important to us.
We protect your personal information with a variety of safeguards. Your personal information may be used by us for the purposes identified below and access to your personal information is limited to our personnel who need to access it to accomplish the identified purposes. We also take reasonable steps to see that the third parties described below, with which we may share personal information, provide a level of protection for that information that is comparable to our own.
How do we use your personal information?
Your personal information may be used by us to provide products, services and information to you such as: to obtain a license for your vehicle, to obtain a credit report if you are financing or leasing your vehicle, to obtain appropriate financing of your vehicle for you, to administer your new vehicle warranty coverage and/or your Extra Care Protection coverage, to provide you with a reminder that your vehicle requires servicing and to provide you with updates and information regarding products and services that we have to offer and which we think will be of interest to you, including marketing and promotional information. We may also use your information to respond to your requests for products, services and information, to improve products and services and to better understand your automotive needs. Where it is necessary, we will update your personal information.
Sometimes we have to share your personal information with others.
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of your personal information with third parties such as: other Dealers with whom we have established a customer relationship; the providers of products or services for your vehicle; credit reporting agencies; financial institutions or financing companies; your insurance agent or company; and companies which provide or insure warranties relating to your vehicle. We may also disclose your personal information to third parties that provide us with services (“Service Providers”) such as data processing and marketing. We may share your personal information with Honda Canada Inc., Honda Financial Services Inc, and through them, with other Honda Dealers and their Service Providers. Finally, we may disclose your personal information where we are required or permitted by law to do so.
How long do we keep your Personal Information?
We retain your personal information as long as we believe that you are still the owner of the vehicle. If the information relates to the financing or lease of the vehicle, we retain personal information relating to the financing or lease arrangements as long as those arrangements are in place. If the information relates to the service or repair of your vehicle we retain the personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary to address any issues arising from the service or repair of the vehicle or as may be required by law. If there are legal requirements relating to the period of time which we must retain your personal information, we comply with those requirements.
What can you do if you want to limit our use of your personal information?
Most of our uses of your personal information are necessary for us to sell or lease you your vehicle, provide products and services related to the vehicle, assist you in the financing or lease of your vehicle or provide service to your vehicle and we cannot do this without that personal information. Similarly, we must disclose your personal information for many of the purposes described above including in order to sell you the vehicle, to provide products and services related to the vehicle, assist you in arrangements for financing or leasing or provide servicing to your vehicle. Some of the uses and disclosures described above are optional rather than required. If you do not want us to use or disclose your personal information in a particular way, please let us know and we will be pleased to discuss with you how we can limit our use or disclosure of your personal information.
You can request access to your personal information.
You have a right to access the personal information which we have about you, except in a limited number of circumstances established by law, and to request that personal information which you believe to be inaccurate be corrected. If you wish to access your personal information you should contact our dealership who will be pleased to assist you.
Questions, comments and concerns.
This policy applies to the collection, use, disclosure, and disposal of recorded information collected through video surveillance technology, which is used to enhance the protection and safety of Great Lakes Honda’s customers and invitees by reducing, deterring and assisting in the investigation of incidents of criminal activity, and protecting property and assets.
This policy has been created in accordance with the Guidelines for Overt Use of Video Surveillance in the Private Sector as issued by Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner (March, 2008).
This policy applies to:
- all Great Lakes Honda employees, agents, independent contractors, customers and invitees; and
- all Great Lakes Honda owned or leased land and buildings (the “Premises”).
Policy and Procedures
It is the policy of Great Lakes Honda to ensure:
- Video surveillance of the Premises is conducted in a professional, ethical and legal manner;
- Video surveillance is used for a purpose consistent with this policy and to promote the following goals:
- Public safety
- Combatting unauthorized access, especially in the compound
- Coordinating operational activities, especially in service
- Supporting criminal investigations
- Deterring theft and break and enter
- Reinforcing employee safety
- Ensuring adequate staffing for high level of customer service at customer points of contact, such as counters and reception;
- Video surveillance is used only to the extent that less intrusive means of achieving a purpose consistent with the policy and the foregoing goals has shown to be ineffective or unworkable;
- If cameras are adjustable by operators, this practice will be restricted, wherever possible, so that operators cannot adjust or manipulate the cameras to view spaces where individuals have a heightened expectation of privacy, (e.g. washrooms).
- Clear understandable notice is provided about the use of video surveillance on the Premises to individuals whose images might be captured, before these individuals enter the Premises. Such notice will be in form of signs that include a contact in case individuals have questions or if they want access to images relating to them.
- Cameras shall normally not be monitored. When cameras are monitored, the recording function shall be turned on only when unlawful activity is suspected or observed.
- Sound is not recorded unless there is a specific need to do so.
- A process is in place to facilitate the making and handling of complaints about the use of video surveillance by Great Lakes Honda.
Great Lakes Honda will retain all video surveillance recordings for a period of 30 days. Records shall only be retained for more than 30 days where the footage is required as part of an investigation or for the purposes of evidence.
While retained by Great Lakes Honda, video recordings shall be stored in a secure environment and their content shall not be altered.
Recording no longer retained by Great Lakes Honda shall be securely destroyed.
Disclosure of Recordings
Subject to legislative exemptions, Great Lakes Honda shall not disclose recordings containing identifying information about an individual without that individual’s consent. Such exemptions include, but are not limited to, disclosure to Great Lakes Honda legal counsel, disclosure to identify an injured, ill or deceased individual, and disclosure to law enforcement where a crime has been committed or to comply with a subpoena, warrant or court order.
Individuals have a right to access recordings they appear in. When disclosing recordings to individuals who appear in them, Great Lakes Honda shall ensure that identifying information about any other individuals on the recording is not revealed. This may be done through technologies that mask identity.
Great Lakes Honda management level employees are collectively responsible for approving and directing compliance with this policy.
The Dealer Principal is responsible for:
- Resolving any issues or conflicts relating to this policy;
- Implementation, administration, and evaluation of this policy;
- Ensuring that information obtained through video surveillance is used exclusively for lawful purposes; and
- Documenting access to recordings and the retention or disposal of recordings.
The Dealer Principal will evaluate this policy periodically, at least once every three years, to:
- Accommodate developments in the interpretation of data protection legislation;
- Respond to developments in the technology involved with the recording of images and the use of such technologies; and
- Ensure that the procedures comply with all applicable laws and Great Lakes Honda policies, including laws and policies relating to privacy and access to information.
|Effective Date:||November, 2017|
|Next Evaluation:||November, 2020|
|Revision History:||Version 1|
- All recordings will be labelled and documented appropriately with the dates and camera source.
- All activities regarding surveillance activities- Only authorized personnel will have access to the surveillance activities
- All recordings will be stored securely in an access-controlled area and server.
- With the exception of requests by law enforcement agencies, individuals must submit a formal request to view recordings that will be subject to approval by the Dealer
- In the event that any law enforcement agency requests access to Great Lakes Honda surveillance recordings, Great Lakes Honda will act in accordance with the law and provide the materials as
- All recordings created by means of security surveillance cameras will be the sole property of Great Lakes Honda and may not be taken, reproduced or destroyed for any reason without prior written permission. Authorized personnel shall be the only parties eligible to delete recordings in accordance with this policy and following the
- Where recordings are disposed of, they must be deleted or destroyed in such a manner as to ensure that they cannot be viewed or accessed by
- Periodic evaluation of the need for surveillance will be done to ensure it is still meeting the needs of Great Lakes Honda with respect to the